Damage & Recovery

What to Do Next If You Lost Your Home or Business

Contact Your Insurance Agent

Contact your insurance company right away and ask them what to do first. There are companies that specialize in cleaning and restoring your personal items. Ask your insurance company for recommendations of companies you can trust. Make sure you know if you or your insurance company will pay for the cleaning. When you contact the company, be sure to ask for a cost estimate in writing. If you do not have insurance, your family and community might help you get back on your feet. Organizations that might help include:

  • American Red Cross (ARC)
  • Salvation Army
  • Religious organizations
  • Public agencies, such as the public health department
  • Community groups
  • State or municipal emergency services office
  • Nonprofit crisis-counseling centers

Take Care of Yourself & Family

Contact your local disaster relief service, such as the ARC or the Salvation Army. They will help you find food, clothing, medicine, and a place to stay. You have a big job ahead of you. Get plenty of rest, and ask for help. Do not try to do it all alone.

Help Your Pets

If you have pets, find and comfort them. Scared animals often react by biting or scratching. Handle them carefully. Try to leave pets with a family member, friend, or veterinarian if you are visiting or cleaning your damaged home. Keeping your pets out of the house until the cleanup is complete will keep them safe. If you cannot find your pet, contact the Lincoln County Animal Shelter at 541-265-6610, ext. 6.


Get in touch with your landlord or mortgage lender. Contact your credit card company to report credit cards that were lost in the fire. Save all of your receipts for any money you spend. The receipts may be needed later by the insurance company, and you will need them to prove losses claimed on your tax return.

Lincoln County Property Taxes

Anyone who had a fire-damaged or destroyed home may be eligible for property tax relief. Contact the Assessor's office at 541-265-4102 or the Tax Collector at 541-265-4139.

Manufactured home ownership documents can be downloaded or emailed from the Oregon Manufactured Home Ownership Document System (MHODS) website.