Lincoln County Public Works














 
 




Lincoln County
County website

Yachats Bridge

A Lincoln County Covered Bridge

This bridge is located on the North Fork of the Yachats River. The Yachats Bridge is one of the shortest bridges in Oregon measuring at forty-two feet in length.

The Yachats Bridge, although open to vehicular traffic, is closed to large traffic (RV's, large trucks, etc.) The weight limit for this bridge is eight tons. The bridge is surrounded by private property with no, or little, turnaround.
Yachats Bridge
Yachats Bridge
[click image for larger view]

About Yachats Bridge


  • It was built in 1938, by Otis Hamer. This was Otis' last bridge to construct.
  • The timber construction of this bridge is of Queenpost Truss style.
  • The flared sides of the bridge result from the buttresses underneath the siding.
  • The ribbon openings under the roof-line allow light to enter the inside, at the center of the bridge.

Restoration

Lincoln County and the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) have signed an Interdepartmental Agreement for rehabilitation of the Yachats Covered Bridge. Although work on the bridge will not begin immediately, plans include replacement of key components, new siding, rail and a paint.
The total cost of the project is estimated at $665,000 with funding from the National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program covering all but 10 percent of the cost of  the rehabilitation.
This will be the second rehabilitation project for this bridge. On December 16th, 1989 the restored Yachats Bridge was rededicated to Lincoln County by the president of The Covered Bridge Society of Oregon, and Lincoln County Commissioners. The bridge was rebuilt by Two G's Construction Company, with updated construction techniques and adding, concrete piers, footings, and zinc strips to the roof to prevent moss growth.

DIRECTIONS: From Yachats drive east seven miles on Yachats River Road. Turn left just beyond a cement bridge. Then drive for two miles up the north fork of Yachats River, you will come across the bridge.

[click image for larger view]

before 1984 reconstruction
before 1984 reconstruction
side view before reconstruction
side view before reconstruction
construction, 1984
construction, 1984
construction, 1984
construction, 1984
side view (c. 1942)
side view (c. 1942)
completed bridge, 1984
completed bridge, 1984

up arrowBack to top



All information on these pages are from the Oregon Coast History Center, and documented information from the Lincoln County Road Department. Please ask permission from the Historical Society, and the Road Department before using any of the pictures from this site.




*pdf files on this page require Adobe Reader to view. Free download: Get Adobe Acrobat Reader


Back to Covered Bridges

line

Home  •  Operations  •  Permits  •  Facilities  •  Fleet Services  •  Vegetation Mgmt
Committees  •  Parks  •  Covered Bridges  •  Bicycle Routes

Lincoln County Public Works Department
880 NE 7th Street  •  Newport, Oregon 97365
(541) 265-5747  •  fax: (541) 574-1295  •