Fisher School Bridge (Five Rivers Bridge)
A Lincoln County Covered Bridge
The bridge was built by George Melvin, a workman, and local farmers which helped in preparing the lumber. Fisher Bridge was built using Howe Trusses. This design was patented by William Howe in 1840 and combined iron uprights with wooden supports. The other architectural features are a shingled gabled roof, wooden decking, board and batten siding, and enclosing butresses.
In 1998, a consulting engineer working for the county determined the bridge was unsafe and recommended it be torn down, if not completely renovated. In 2001, with the assistance of the Oregon Department of Transportation, a federal grant was secured to pay for most of the renovation cost. The total project included new pilings, replacement floor beams, deck, stringers, siding and roof. The bridge was painted barn red, as is the tradition in Lincoln County.
The rehabilitation of the Fisher School Bridge by the Lincoln County Public Works Department – with a great deal of assistance and participation by local members of the Covered Bridge Society of Oregon – was recognized with a first place award in the category of Rehabilitated Bridges.
The county commissioners held a rededication ceremony for the bridge on June 4, 2005.
Pre-Rehabilitation Photos (pre 1998)
[click image for larger view]
All information on these pages are from the Oregon Coast History Center, and documented information from the Lincoln County Road Department. Please ask permission from the Historical Society, and the Road Department before using any of the pictures from this site.
*pdf files on this page require Adobe Reader to view. Free download:
Back to Covered Bridges
Home • Operations • Permits • Facilities • Fleet Services • Vegetation Mgmt
Committees • Parks • Covered Bridges • Bicycle Routes
Lincoln County Public Works Department
880 NE 7th Street • Newport, Oregon 97365
(541) 265-5747 • fax: (541) 574-1295 •